ā€œ[Kids] don’t remember what you try to teach them. They remember what you areā€ (Henson, 2005).

In searching for a quote that supported my teaching philosophy, it was important for me to find one that related to my identity as an individual and as a teacher, as these are one and the same. The identity that distinguishes me as a person is the same one that motivates me into becoming a teacher and continues to influence my educational ideologies. It is built on a foundation of kindness, caring, acceptance, and a drive to create strong relationships established on earned trust, empathy, and unconditional support. I consider these attributes to be invaluable, however, they are often easily overlooked in contemporary society. I put such emphasis on them, as I believe the genuine connections you develop when you come from a place of authenticity provide a basis on which everything else can be built, especially in the classroom. By creating a learning environment that is safe, free of judgment, and where children feel confident and cared for, they are empowered with receptiveness and engagement in their learning. I felt that this quote by Jim Henson supported my teaching philosophy in this way. When Henson states ā€œ[Kids] don’t remember what you try to teach themā€ (2005), I feel it encompasses this idea that school should not just be a place where information is given. Rather, a holistic learning environment should be created where the spirit, as well as the mind, are nurtured, which is captured when he continues with ā€œthey remember what you areā€ (Henson, 2005). When implementing this into my classroom, I will continue to follow my heart in allowing me to care for the well-being of each of my students individually. I will always put in the time to develop relationships based on trust and support, above all else. Through this, I will act as a role model for my students while providing them with the secure environment they need to achieve rich, long-lasting knowledge.

Henson, J. (2005). Itā€™s Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things to Consider. Westport, CT: Hyperion Press.

_________________________________________________

We call upon the federal, provincial, and territorial governments, in consultation and collaboration with Survivors, Aboriginal peoples, and educators, to:Ā 

10 ii. Improving education attainment levels and success rates.

Ā Ā Ā Ā  iii. Developing culturally appropriate curricula.

62 i. Make age-appropriate curriculum on residential schools, Treaties, and Aboriginal peoplesā€™ historical and contemporary contributions to Canada a mandatory education requirement for Kindergarten to Grade Twelve students.

On the path towards truth and reconciliation, it is imperative that Canadian curricula consistently engages in and incorporates our past. First Nations culture, language, and perspectives resonate throughout our history and should undoubtedly continue to shape our future. The journey in truth and reconciliation provides a new, progressive foundation for our country and should be reflected as such in our school systems to support factors such as education attainment levels and success rates through First Nations principles, teaching, and learning. This cannot be achieved without the development of age-appropriate cultural curricula, that focus on developing intercultural competence in our students to nurture educated, engaged, and active citizens who interact positively in any cultural context or situation. In implementing an age-appropriate curriculum that enlightens students on our country’s past, we are encouraging them to look towards the future. In bringing knowledge, awareness, and First Nations perspectives into the classroom, we are motivating and supporting our students to be understanding, accepting, and empathetic individuals who interact accordingly in any cultural context. In ensuring that First Nations perspectives are apart of the educational journey for everyone, we are also making progress in bringing back their voice. All of this, however, is still not enough. To adequately address the Calls to Action in my classroom, I will take a critical pedagogical approach in an attempt to de-colonize my teaching. Using inquiry-based learning with my students, I will facilitate and encourage their critical thinking in response to societal issues such as ethnocentrism and colonization. I will also use the ever-increasing resource base provided to us through the BC Education Plan, to incorporate First Nations perspectives and teaching into my lessons wherever possible. Going beyond what I can provide to my students, I will favour alternative environments and authentic learning opportunities where my students and I can interact with and be educated by First Nations individuals with sacred knowledge through traditional means such as the oral storytelling process.

Perry, L. B. & Southwell, L. (2011). Developing intercultural understanding and skills: models and approaches. Intercultural Education, 22(6), 453-466.

This resource will be used in my classroom by primarily influencing how I approach this topic. It has encouraged me to look inward and develop a heightened sense of self-awareness surrounding this issue. In addition to this, it contains useful information on how to develop intercultural competence in students. For example, researchers in this article argue that simply teaching about ā€˜cultureā€™ is not enough, students need to be challenged to think critically when examining culture by using methods such as an inquiry-based approach.

Province of British Columbia. (2015). Aboriginal Worldviews and Perspectives in the Classroom: Moving Forward. Retrieved from https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/education/administration/kindergarten-to-grade-12/indigenous-education/awp_moving_forward.pdf

The information in this resource was compiled in order to provide guidance and answer questions regarding implementing First Nations perspectives and worldviews into teaching practices. It contains the characteristics of First Nations perspectives and worldviews, such as the power of story, emphasis on identity, experiential learning, and language and culture, and gives examples of how these can be incorporated into different lessons. This resource will help ensure that I am including First Nations principles into my lessons, in as many ways as possible.

First Nations Education Steering Committee. (2020). Learning First Peoples Classroom Resources. Retrieved from http://www.fnesc.ca/learningfirstpeoples/

This resource will significantly serve me in my classroom as it contains a wealth of lesson ideas for specific subject matter. The focus of the material presented on this website is to provide teachers with resources for unappropriated First Peopleā€™s perspectives that can be used across the curriculum.