My name is Carlie Sawchuk and I am a Teacher Candidate in the Bachelor of Education program at Thompson Rivers University. When I am not in the classroom you can find me attached at the hip with my two dogs, fishing, camping, running, skiing, hiking, or anything that involves being in the outdoors. A more expensive passion of mine is traveling, whether it be weekends spent exploring new or favourite areas or longer trips abroad. 4 years ago, I traveled to southeast Asia for 3 months. It was eye-opening and influenced me greatly. My friend and I traveled through Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, and Thailand. We had many experiences, good and bad, and it developed in me a heightened admiration for the cultures we witnessed as well as a deep appreciation for the place we call home. My previous background is in law enforcement with a criminal justice degree, where I worked as an auxiliary Conservation Officer. I also worked as a swim coach, which is where my passion for working with children was initially realized. The relationships I developed with my swimmers and the impacts they had on me has never left me, and it is what brought me back into this line of work. My other half and I recently moved into our dream home and community in Barriere, BC, where we are now living our best lives on our peaceful acreage down a quiet dirt road, doing what we love every day.

______________________________________________________

Why I want to become a teacher!

This is part of a goofy little video I had to make for one of my classes. In it, I present an artifact that represents why I have chosen this career path.