Inclusive Education

2. Importance Of Inclusive Education - Inclusive Education in History Curriculum

“If a child can’t learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn” Ignacio Estrada

This bowling pin analogy is helpful in understanding how we can support inclusive education in our classrooms. For more on this, visit Shelley Moore’s website for a wealth of information on inclusive education and access to resources such as templates, articles, curriculum links, videos, and more.

I Can Hear You... | Special education quotes, Special education students, Special education

“Strength lies in differences, not in similarities” Stephen R. Covey

In looking for more authentic teaching experiences with students who need extra or differentiated support in their learning, I completed a half-day practicum with a L.A.R.T., where I witnessed and participated in three different literacy lessons. Here is my reflection on this experience!

“Inclusive classrooms support the abilities and recognize the possibilities of all students” – Inclusion in Action by Nicole Eredics

“Fairness does not mean everyone gets the same. Fairness means everyone gets what they need to succeed” – Rick Riordan

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid” – Albert Einstein

______________________________________________________

Professional Standards for BC Educators:

This outlines the 9 Professional Standards for BC Educators to follow in their educational practices. In guiding and advancing the work of educators, these standards focus on the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and values that pertain to teaching in BC’s Kindergarten to Grade 12 public, independent, offshore, and First Nations school classrooms. As a future educator, I will: value the success of all my students, caring and acting in their best interests; act ethically and maintain the integrity, credibility and reputation of the profession; understand and apply knowledge of student growth and development; value the involvement and support of parents, guardians, families and communities in schools; implement effective planning, instruction, assessment and reporting practices to create respectful, inclusive environments for students learning and development; demonstrate a broad knowledge base and an understanding of areas I teach; engage in professional learning; contribute to the profession; and respect and value the history of First Nations, Inuit and Métis in Canada and the impact of the past on the present and the future by contributing towards truth, reconciliation and healing, and fostering a deeper understanding of ways of knowing and being, histories, and cultures of First Nations, Inuit and Métis, as outlined in this document.

BC’s New Curriculum:

This website is an excellent resource for unit and lesson planning as it contains extensive information and resources on the new curriculum. It details the core competencies, the K-12 curriculum in all subject areas, assessment, and how to include and promote Indigenous education in your classroom. In addition to this, it provides many instructional samples, examples, and resources illustrating how each of these can be applied.

Practicum Reflections:

These are my three practicum reflections from my first few experiences of teaching in a classroom!

_____________________________________________________